Applications for 2022 residencies close 11.59pm Sunday 29 August 2021.
Under Construction supports emerging and established artists in Australia to develop and perform original new physical theatre and circus works. It provides structure for creative development, concluding with a work-in-progress showing to the Fruit Fly community.
Each residency will receive:
- Seed funding of $3,000 cash and in-kind support of up to $5,000
- Up to two weeks access to the Flying Fruit Fly Circus (FFFC) rehearsal facilities and equipment.
- Free accommodation in our Circus House, a five minute walk from FFFC, subject to negotiation of dates
- Advice, feedback and mentorship
- Basic technical support for a work-in-progress showing
Under Construction is open to individuals or groups living in Australia with an independent arts practice in circus or physical theatre. We define emerging as in your first five years of professional practice and established artists will need to demonstrate their work history. The work must be original with no prior public performances.
Consideration will be given to:
- The idea (is it interesting, innovative, bold?)
- The proposed use of time for creative development
- The track record and/or quality of the artists involved
- The benefit of the residency to the advancement of your project and/or careers
- The future potential of the project
The following support material must be attached to your application:
- One document with artist biographies of the creative team (100 words each). Attached as a pdf or word document.
- A basic budget must be included. You can use the budget template supplied here, or use your own. This must be uploaded as a pdf or excel document.
Applications must be received no later than 11.59pm, Sunday 29 August 2021
Application is via the online form above. Applicants who require an accessible form should email firstname.lastname@example.org.
Previous Under Construction Artists
Examples of successful projects:
World Repair Technicians by acrobat (Simon Yates and Jo Lancaster)
Tale of the Two Harpies by Nicci Wilks and Emilie Bloom
December by Jake Silvestro
Wattle Street by Unvarnished Circus (Ellen Perry Armstrong, Indigo Walker Stelling, Jacqui Turner, Lucy Tan and Maisie Walker Stelling)